Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Addiction Help Web Site Celebrates 5 Years

Online Alcoholism and Addiction Recovery Community urges everyone to tell their story. http://www.soberrecovery.com/ offers help and support for alcoholics, addicts, family and friends.

Web site Celebrating 5 years of providing substance abuse help online while honoring National Recovery Month.

As the many volunteers and moderators are getting ready for the web site's 5th Birthday, you might think, “What's so special about a website for alcoholics, drug addicts and co-dependents?”

SoberRecovery.com's founder would tell you, “We don't judge, we don't charge those needing help or those providing it, and we never close. There is always someone there to help you. Always.”

Perhaps the best proof that SR is fulfilling its mission is right on the message boards, which are constantly flowing with threads and posts from addicts, alcoholics and their family and friends, such as these from a current message thread: “Where Were You When You Found SR?”

“I was out of my mind... with worry for my husband, who had just had a slip after being clean for 8 months. But it wasn't his slip that did it, it was the way I reacted a week later. I won't go into details, but suffice it to say, I hit MY bottom and realized some changes needed to be made–by me.“I did a search on addiction and codependency and found my way here. Thus began the journey. My recovery from codependency and ACOA began here. My acceptance of my parents and childhood happened here. You walked with me through my husband's recovery, relapse, and attempts at finding recovery again…You are my family.”

Yet another member relates his experience with the SoberRecovery.com site:“…I had finally come to realize that my son was addicted to heroin…. I searched for literally everything relating to addiction and I kept finding SR. I remember thinking...'but I don't need a chat room, I need information!' Then I read a few posts and began to cry...there were others like me out there.”

No comments: