Monday, October 03, 2005

Stories of Hope from Methadone Detox Patients

Stories of Hope from Methadone Detox Patients

“I guess you could say that methadone gave me my life back.”“I didn’t choose to get hooked on pain pills, I have had 14 major surgeries and had to take pain medication and couldn’t get off of them. I just got tired of addiction, I didn’t feel like a decent human being – I felt like trash. I knew that I was a kind, decent person. I couldn’t do this if I didn’t have a great counselor. My life is so much better. I’m able to look forward to a great future. I even look forward to waking up each day for just the simple things, like going to the grocery store, speaking to old friends…smiling. I guess you could say methadone gave me my life back.”
Virginia S., Methadone Clinic Patient

“This treatment really works.”

“I am 46 years old, I have been married for 22 years, and I have been using drugs since I was 13. My husband is also a drug addict. For the past 10 years my life has been a nightmare. Everyday as soon as I woke up, if I didn’t have any drugs I would spend all day until I found some. Drugs were bought first, before bills were paid. My husband and I decided we wanted our life to be like it was before we almost let drugs destroy it! I have been taking drugs for over 30 years, what it has done to me mentally and physically I can’t get back. I can only change my future. This treatment really works.”
Anonymous Methadone Clinic Patient

“I think that the counseling is as important as the methadone itself. My life is great…”“My life was awful before I sought methadone treatment; I stayed so sick all the time from withdrawal. I couldn’t think of anything but using drugs, no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t quit. I had to do something and I was waiting for a clinic to (open) close to me. Methadone is the only thing that works for me. I think that the counseling is as important as the methadone itself. My life is great, my social life is getting a lot better because I socialize with people who don’t use drugs, and I am working on my relationship with myself. I hope to have a future with a wife and kids, and a drug free future. It’s never too late to get help, no matter how bad the problem.”
Thomas C., Methadone Clinic Patient

“My life was going downhill fast... I just about lost my life on Dec. 10, 03…since I’ve been (in treatment) things are 100% better.” “I am 22 years old and I started using drugs when I was about 16 years old. When I was in high school I started hanging out with the wrong crew, only because I thought they were ‘cool’, but they were on drugs. Everyday someone would bring pills to school that they had stolen from their parents, and we would all share them. I started dating this guy that was hooked on OxyContin®, and then I was hooked. I am so glad that I finally realized it was time for help. My life was going down hill fast. I was losing everything I had. Every dime of money I got went on drugs. Instead of paying bills or buying things I needed, I was wasting it on drugs. I couldn’t even keep a job. I just about lost my life on Dec.10, 2003 from a drug overdose. I felt like I was the worst mother ever. When I was on drugs, some days when I didn’t have a pill, I couldn’t even get out of bed. My 4 year old daughter would ask me to get up and play with her, but I wouldn’t if I didn’t have a pill. But since I’ve been (in treatment) things are 100% better. My daughter and I play together, we go out and do things, my bills are paid. I’m so glad that I’ve started (treatment) and I don’t have to live the awful life of a drug addict anymore. I would recommend (treatment) to anyone who needs help.”
Regina, Methadone Clinic Patient

“I want the community to know that methadone maintenance treatment is good.”“I was tired of being on drugs and wanted a change in my life before I turned 30 years old. My relationship with my mom is better. I don’t associate with many people outside of my family because more people use drugs in my neighborhood than are sober. I want the community to know that methadone maintenance treatment is good. It helps people more than the community knows. I want (the community) to know that it changed my life for the better.”
Rhonda, Methadone Clinic Patient

“It has really changed my life.” “I would encourage anyone who really wants to straighten their life up to get (to a methadone clinic) and get started on a new life. If (they) only knew how much better they would feel, they would get started before its too late. It (methadone maintenance treatment) has really changed my life…my counselor really keeps me encouraged…it is a great thing for anyone who really wants to straighten up their lives.”
Bridgette, Methadone Clinic Patient

So what type of drug treatment is best? The one that works for YOU.

No comments: